Tuesday, May 4, 2010

IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

There is something that has appealed to me since I was a child. Now, I know that I'm French and I do like good poetry and visiting cities like Venice or Barcelona but there is a side of me that remains hidden most of the time. I don't know whether it has to do with the fact that I grew up in South Florida or because I've watched too many David Lynch films but I will now admit that seedy bars and motels in the middle of nowhere fascinate me.
It seems that in these places that far away from " normal" city life, there is an undeniable air of mystery and a sprinkle of danger. I can just picture driving down a long highway surrounded by desert and mountains and seeing a blinking sign in the distance. It resembles a mirage but it is real. It could be a bar or a motel, alone in the vast abyss. I just imagine lost souls seeking false hope at the bar as they cling to a drunken illusion or a life changing phrase being said by an old man sitting in front of his motel room with his trust dog at his feet.
I'd rather not think about murderers or delinquents frequenting these places because it's a bit of cliche. I like to think that if you come across on of these haunted establishments you should stop and go in. See what happens. Maybe you'll experience your own version of "Lost Highway." That would be a night to remember.
Till next time...

3 comments:

  1. This isn't quite the same thing, but it has a similar feel. Once, for reasons I can't remember, I decided to take a bus from Omaha to Denver rather than driving. At 1am in Cheyenne, Wyoming I had to change buses. There were quite a variety of what seemed to me to be odd and shady looking characters in there at that time of the night, serial killer types to my mind.
    It could have been my frame of mind more than anything I suppose, but after more than 25 years I remember nothing about that trip except the creepiness of that bus station.
    It sure felt like a David Lynch movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had been there Brian!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have buses in California; I'm pretty sure you could re-create the experience pretty easily... maybe see a girl walking on all fours across Route 66 at night, belly to the stars, crab-like. I've been on Route 66, only it was daytime. Who knows what's out there after the sun goes down...

    ReplyDelete